We’re living in a connected world. And that means we all know the pain of walking two steps to the left, only to tumble smartphone-first into a WiFi dead zone. It’s a buffering nightmare.
Luckily, we’re still living in a connect world. And that means that tech companies not only understand our pain, but have us covered. With lots of solutions, in fact. Our rescuers go by the names of WiFi range extenders, repeaters, signal boosters, and access points to help increase your WiFi signal range.
These handy little devices, many of which install in under a minute, promise to extend your router range to cover your whole home. Most offer speeds of up to 300Mbps – the average home internet speed is around 55Mbps in the U.S., according to Ookla, so at 300Mbps, we’re talking almost 6x average speeds – and a variety of protocols, security, and other WiFi options.
Do note that, despite the “boost” in their name, these miracle-workers can’t actually boost your Internet speeds. Rather, they extend your router range, giving you wireless access in areas that would otherwise be dead zones.
Now that we have that down, let’s get to it – the 25 best WiFi range extenders on the market today:
Let’s kick off our list with one of the most popular WiFi range extenders out there: The NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900. Billed as a gamer’s range extender, this bit of tech offers some of the best specs on the market, including blazing fast speeds of up to 1900Mbps (that’s 1.9Gbps!), meaning this extender is also an excellent choice for streaming. (Especially in households where you’re streaming more than one program at a time.)
- Extreme dual-band WiFi with speeds up to 1.9Gbps (1900Mbps)
- 5 Gigabit ports – connect your wired devices (game consoles, smart TVs, etc.)
- USB 3.0 = faster access (up to 10x) to your stored media
Designed for standard home or office use, the MANNI MSRM US300 offers good-enough-for-most speeds of up to 300Mbps. We love that’s it’s super portable – you need only plug it in, and it’s ready to boost your range – this tiny repeater can help knock out the WiFi dead-spots in your home. (Old plaster walls don’t play very nice with new tech, do they?)
- Integrates with 802.11g and 802.11n protocol wireless products
- Easy plug-in design for anywhere portability
- Small enough to fit in a briefcase, purse, or backpack
Raise your hand if you’ve ever been frustrated by weak WiFi signals when you’re out and about. Sure, your favorite coffee shop, or your business hotel, or that cute restaurant with outdoor seating says they offer free WiFi, but in reality, the signal is so weak as to be unusable. Enter the Coredy 300Mbps, which is tiny enough to fit in your wallet and so easy to set up, you’ll have WiFi in no time, anywhere you go (setup takes just 1 minute).
- 11n WiFi technology, with speeds up to 300Mbps
- Slim, compact design for portability in a purse, pocket, or even a (largish) wallet
- Plug into any standard AC charger or adapter, your TV/computer’s USB port, or even a portable power bank (like what you’d use to charge your phone on-the-go)
If 300Mbps just doesn’t do it for you, it’ll hard to beat the features (and price point) on this dual-band extender that supports wireless speeds up to 750Mbps. There’s lots of tech built into this little gadget, which supports Wi-Fi 802.11g, Wi-Fi 802.11b, and Wi-Fi 802.11n, and allows you to choose your transmission (2.4 or 5.0 GHz).
- Super simple, plug-in installation – couldn’t be easier
- Choose 2.4GHz or 5GHz, to reduce WiFi interference with other devices
- Does not support WPS
Good things do come in small packages. This small-but-powerful device offers 3-in-1 functionality: It works as a range extender/repeater, a wireless router, and a wireless access point. That means you can carry it with you everywhere, and use it to instantly create your own private WiFi network, extend the range of an existing network, or convert an existing wired network into wireless. It’s almost like magic.
- Incredibly simple installation via WPS (can also install via web/QR code)
- 3-in-1 functionality: router mode, repeat mode, AP mode
- Compatible with any wireless network, router, and WiFi-enabled devices, including desktops, laptops, tablets, smartphone, and smart TVs
- Securifi Almond – Touchscreen WiFi Wireless Router / Range Extender / Access Point / Wireless Bridge
If you’re looking for champagne functionality on a beer budget, have a gander at Almond, a touchscreen WiFi router AND range extender AND access point AND wireless bridge. (Say that three times fast.) As its name implies, this is a touchscreen router, which means that you can set up and tweak your settings via the intuitive touchscreen – no clunky computer setup required. We also love that it’s secure, right out of the box.
- Touchscreen Wizard cuts setup to just 3 minutes
- Compatible with all 802.11b/g/n networks, offering speeds up to 300Mbps and features including port-forwarding, firewall, DMZ, and UPnP
- Talks to Amazon Alexa: Control your WiFi-connected smart devices via voice commands
Here’s a genius idea: Use your existing powerline adapters to boost the WiFi signal throughout your home. That’s exactly the M.O. of TP Link’s AV500 range extender, which requires some (relatively easy) setup via Ethernet connections, before extending your wireless signal to all those hard-to-reach areas of your home. We love that, even at this low price point, the package includes two range extenders for whole-home coverage.
- Strong 2.4GHz connection with speeds up to 300Mbps and one-touch 128-bit AES encryption
- Compact design plugs in without blocking other outlets
- QoS protocols route the most important WiFi traffic first, and therefore increase your overall network efficiency
- Fee lifetime support
The VICTONY US402 is a straightforward little device: plug it in, get better WiFi. It’s really as simple as that. But, if you want to get a little more complicated about it, fine: this range extender uses a built-in dual Realtek chipset, external antennas, and a simple wall plug to boost your WiFi signal, even in the hardest-to-reach annals of your home or office.
- Plug-in range extender can be installed anywhere
- Work with all broadband internet providers and 2.4GHz WLAN networks
- Dual, external 5dBi antennas extend WiFi range through walls and other hard-to-breach WiFi blockers
NETGEAR is back with another addition to our list – this time, the N300 wall-plug WiFi range extender. The device works with any standard WiFi router, and uses external antennas to ensure optimal performance. Like similar devices, the wall-plug design saves space and makes it easy to install anywhere you have an outlet.
- Universal compatibility extends wireless coverage to any WiFi-enabled device
- Easy to install, with no CD required
- Find the best location (= optimal WiFi coverage), thanks to built-in smart LED indicators
Have WiFi dead zones in your home, office, or warehouse? It’s the MSRM US 300 to the rescue! Simply install this handy device half-way between your wireless router and signal trouble spot, and you’ll see instant improvement. With proper placement, you can effectively double the operating radius of your existing wireless network.
- Extends your range with speeds up to 300Mbps
- Long-range repeater works with 11b/g/n, 2.4 GHz technology
- Quick & easy installation via the user-friendly wizard setup
Oh hi, NETGEAR. That’s right, the networking company is back with another great range extender: the Orbi Home AC3000. This tri-band WiFi system is one of the easiest (if not the cheapest) ways to outfit your entire home with lightening-fast WiFi in every corner. The system covers up to 5,000 square feet and eliminates the need for any additional WiFi boosters or extenders: it’s one and done, and then you’re off to binge-watch your favorite streaming show.
- Tri-band WiFi means your internet runs at maximum speed, no matter how many devices you connect
- Cover up to 5,000 square-feet, with no need for additional extenders or boosters
- Robust options include guest WiFi networks, Amazon Echo/Alexa controls, and more
If you suffer from WiFi signal holes throughout your home or office, then this simple range extender could be the inexpensive answer to your woes. Simply plug in and walk away – you’re ready to rock and roll. And by rock and roll, we mean hop online. (Rock and roll videos included.)
- Fast speeds of up to 300Mbps
- Works with your existing 802.11b/g/n network and wireless products
- Easy installation via simple setup
Here’s something a little different from most of the devices on this list: Instead of offering a simple extender, eero is a whole-home WiFi system that eliminates the need for wireless routers, signal boosters, and range extenders. Simply replace your existing router with eero, add on additional eero if needed (homes 1,000+ square-feet), and enjoy a strong signal and a super secure network throughout your home.
- Use one eero to cover up to 1,000 square-feet; additional eero will extend your range throughout larger areas (three are enough to cover the typical U.S. home)
- Superior security via WPA2 personal wireless encryption, VPN passthrough, UPnP, DHCP, and NAT
- For setup, you’ll need a supported Apple iOS device or Android smartphone with data connection. iOS requirements: iOS 8.0 or later, Android requirements: Android 4.3 or later (tablets included).
Big house? Thick walls? Huge backyard? Ameky’s WiFi repeater comes to the rescue with a super easy-to-install repeater-cum-access point that boosts your WiFi signal to distant dead zones. The tiny, compact and bargain-priced device offers speeds up to 300Mbps, and can be installed anywhere you have an outlet.
- 2-in-1 functionality enables repeater mode and access point mode, for both wireless and wired LAN support
- Easy installation: just plug into the wall – no hub required
- WPS compatibility for safe connection
VICTONY delivers another faster-than-average repeater, with this dual-band device and speeds up to 1200Mbps. It’ll work right out of the box – it’s compatible with almost any 802.11n/g/b/ac/a technology – and you’ll have it installed in just a few minutes, thanks to the user-friendly installation wizard. Go on, we know you’re just itching to stream some HD something.
- Dual 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies optimize your wireless signal (5GHz for HD streaming, 2.4GHz for the rest) to boost productivity and eliminate dead spots
- Two high-performance antennas deliver speeds up to 1200Mbps
- Compact device is portable – take it anywhere
It’s rare that you get everything you want, but NETGEAR makes a valiant effort with its PowerLINE WiFi extender. Just plug the Powerline 1000 Essentials Edition in where it’s needed, and Homeplug AV2 support tech will send a strong, super-fast (up to 1Gbps!) signal blazing through your home or office.
- Uses your existing electrical wiring to deliver blazing fast speeds up to 1000Mbps (1Gbps) – perfect for 4K HD streaming and lag-free gaming
- Tap into your electrical lines for fast connections
- Build your coverage area by connecting multiple adapters
Yeeeessss. Who doesn’t love a combo device? TP Link’s AC750 offers a combination WiFi range extender and smart plug, meaning once it’s installed, you can not only use your smartphone in your previously-dead-zone backyard, but you can also use your now-connected smartphone from the backyard, to turn off the light that’s connected to your new smart plug. Win!
- Dual-band WiFi delivers speeds up to 300Mbps on 2.4GHz + 433Mbps on 5GHz
- Integrated smart plug (connects to the Kasa app) delivers up to 15A of power to connected devices
- Voice control available via Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
Leave it to Internet-giant Google to create a router-replacing WiFi system that works. Billed as attic-to-basement technology, this handy device delivers fast signal to every nook and cranny of your home. What’s more, it has other awesome features, like family WiFi controls that allow you to see what devices are connected, prioritize devices, and even pause your kids’ internet usage when it’s time for dinner. Let the whining commence!
- Replaces your current router to integrate with your modem, eliminating WiFi dead zones and slow spots
- Built-in Network Assist technology selects the clearest channel and fastest band, so you’re always on the fastest connection possible
- Use 1 WiFi point for a 500-1,500 square-foot home, 2 for 1500-3000 square-feet, and 3 for 3000-4500 square-feet.
This LESHP WiFi repeater offers combined wired and wireless connections, making it ideal for both home and small office environments. What’s more, it’s as easy to install as plugging it into an existing outlet, setting up, and switching on. We like that this little device offers easy wireless security encryption with WPS, as well as maximum WLAN security via WPA2, WPA and WEP(128/64).
- Complies with IEEE802.11 a/b/g/n-and 802.11ac standards, and offers wireless speeds up to 300Mbps
- Simple installation with the easy setup wizard
- Compact, plug-in design can fit into even the tightest squeeze
When you need maximum performance, even outside, the Ubiquiti Networks Unifi Access Point delivers with weatherproof design and fast speeds. This sweet little access point is most likely compatible with your existing network tech, but also works in high-tech extras like 3×3 MIMO technology and dual-band antennas (in triplicate!) to deliver the fastest, strongest signal possible.
- Uses 3 dual-band antennas of 3 dBi each, to deliver the strongest signal throughout your home
- 11 a/b/g/n/ac tech works with your existing network
- power consumption of just 9W
This handy, portable WiFi repeater acts as a combo wired-wireless network connection device, allowing you either to create your own hotspot or simply boost the signal of an existing network. It’s perfect for taking on-the-go, but is also a great add-on to your home network, effectively and easily eliminating any wireless dead zones in your home.
- Compatible with 802.11b/g/n and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi devices
- Extend your wireless range with speeds up to 300Mbps
- Wall-plug device is enabled with one-touch wireless security encryption via WPS
This range extender packs a big punch, rolling 300Mbps speeds, wireless security, and encryption into one nano-sized, portable device. Indeed, this offering from Wavlink complies with IEEE802.11b/g/n tech, enables encryption via WPS, and supports both 64/128 bit WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security, but is also compact, easy to carry, and needs only an outlet to use anywhere.
- 300Mbps speeds, with wireless security and encryption options
- Amplify any WiFi signal, anywhere you can find an outlet
- Easy installation via the simple setup wizard
This addition to our list comes from dodocool, and allows you to boost your home WiFi signal with just a small device and an electrical outlet. Choose from enabling this as a signal repeater/range extender, or turn it to access point (AP) mode to turn your wired network wireless.
- 4Ghz network compatible with any 802.11 b/g/n routers, offering wireless streaming up to 300Mbps
- Dual, external antennas deliver better coverage and higher speed, for stable, uninterrupted WiFi
- Find the best installation spot, thanks to LED signal strength indicators
This wireless range extender from XINGDONGCHI offers five working modes: wireless router, repeater, access point, client, and bridge, so you can choose whatever’s best for the situation and moment. Versatile and powerful, this little device may be the biggest bang for your buck on our list.
- Compatible with your 802.11 b/g/n wireless router, on 2.4GHz frequency band
- Fast speeds up to 300 Mbps, with wireless security via WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA Mixed, and WPS
- Can mount on the wall, a stand, or your desktop
This Ubiquiti wireless access point is a pretty sweet little device, capable of handling heavy use in multi-user areas, like an office or restaurant. It’s fast, it’s compatible with what you already have and, best of all, it employs self-maintaining tech to automatically troubleshoot and fix network problems.
- 11 b/g/n, 2×2 MIMO WiFi Access Point with 2 internal antennas at 3 dB each
- 4 Ghz 300Mbps transmission rate with openWRT
- Watchdog Technology Chipset enables the system to auto-recover from problems, auto-maintain, auto-optimize, and complete an intelligent restart